Was amazed to find out that Tuna gets low priced from the supermarket here last Friday, would you believe it comes as low as 4.50 Qatar Riyals per kilo? Well maybe it’s not as classy as with the oversized quite expensive yellow fin tunas in Gensan but you can choose from medium to large sizes with same price here. While people were ordering from the fish vendors in volumes I opted to buy some but actually don’t know what to do with it.
Coming across some tuna recipes from the net, Adobong Tuna caught my attention and decided to prepare it for dinner but with a twist from the usual adobo in soy sauce.
I did call it “Adobong Tuna sa Puti” which speaks well of a healthy dish that’s devoid of colour, but richly flavored with coconut milk. The fish Tuna, is cooked in vinegar, spiced only with garlic, ginger, pepper, salt and sugar, added with eggplant and some sliced chili fingers to add a little kick. Til then I didn’t know that tuna tastes even better with the white sauce and the slow cooking gives the dish a flavor-packed tenderness. Here is my version of the simple cooking procedure:
- ½ k tuna
- 1 c water
- ½ c vinegar
- 2 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 thumb ginger, chopped
- 5 pcs whole peppercorn
- 2 pcs. sliced chili finger
- 2 pcs. eggplant (sliced lengthwise)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tbsp white sugar
- ½ c coconut milk (kakang gata)
- Combine water and vinegar in deep pan and bring to a boil.
- Add the fish and the remaining ingredients except for the chili finger & coconut milk.
- Simmer, when liquid reduced to half put the chili finger and coconut milk last, let boil for at least a minute.
- Serve hot with steamed rice. Share & enjoy!