Crusted fried chicken has been my son’s all time favorite and that I always have to prepare it as often as every second or third day. And since I always got leftovers I did think of how I can reuse or reinvent it into something different, a special dish maybe for that matter.
Chicken Cordon Bleu sounds complicated but actually it’s a simple dish to prepare and even I can make it more simpler. The original recipe is composed of fried or baked flattened chicken breasts with arranged ham and cheese on top and rolled together then dredged in bread crumbs. Mine is the simplest, leftover crusted fried chicken + leftover pasta sauce = chicken cordon bleu. I can show you how I made it to complete the equation. Here it is… 🙂
Ingredients for Crusted Fried Chicken
- 4 pieces boneless chicken breast, about 6 ounces each (flattened into 1/2 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 piece raw egg
- a pinch of salt and ground black pepper
- a pinch of msg. (optional)
- 1 cup of vegetable oil for deep frying
Ingredients for White Sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced canned mushroom buttons
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup all purpose cream
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- about 2 x 2 inches of quick melt cheese
- chopped parsley for garnishing
- Rub chicken meat with salt, pepper & msg. and set aside for at least 10 minutes. Dredge each piece in flour then dip in the beaten egg thoroughly and lastly dredge into the bread crumbs enough to cover everything.
- Heat the pan with vegetable oil and dip fry the chicken in medium heat until golden brown. When done, place it all in a plate with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Chopped each piece lengthwise and arrange in a serving plate. Then set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat olive oil and pour in mushroom buttons, simmer for 2 minutes and season with garlic salt and butter. Add in all purpose cream, evaporated milk and cheese. In low fire let simmer for at least 5 minutes while stirring constantly until it boils a little then it’s done.
- Pour in enough sauce to each serving plate of crusted fried chicken and garnish with parsley.
- Serve and enjoy while hot!
Note: Sauce can be used for any pasta if you want a meatless carbonara…