If you are situated in the Philippines, you’ll notice that “Pork Menudo” is a common dish in cafeterias, canteens, “turo-turo’s”, roadside eateries and even small restaurants. It is actually exceptionally popular both in the provinces and in the cities. My husband would usually tease me when I cook this asking “have you been in a fiesta and you brought home menudo?”, mainly because it is also a regular menu in most Filipino banquets and feasts during family occasions, special holidays and important gatherings especially on fiestas. It is simple enough to quickly prepare but tasty enough to satisfy even choosy guests.
The dish is a typical tomato sauce-based stew using small cubed pork and liver. Several types of vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, bell pepper, green peas, can be added as well as hotdog or sausage. The liver provides its distinct flavor while the veggies and especially raisins, if using, give its hints of flavorful sweetness. However in this particular recipe I haven’t got liver as it isn’t available in our location, instead I’ve added Reno liver spread as a substitute.
Thanks to my brother-in-law who went on a short vacation and brought us pork, hotdog and liver spread, a complete main ingredient package for me to have this recipe done.
- 1/2 kilo pork belly, cut into small cubes
- 4 pieces regular size Purefoods hotdog, cut crosswise into circle
- 1 medium size red/green bell pepper, cut into squares
- 1 large size potato, cut into small cubes
- 1 large size carrot, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup green peas, pre-cooked
- 1 medium size onion, chopped
- 1/2 head garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 200 grams tomato sauce (Del Monte pack)
- 3 tbsp. Reno liver spread
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup raisin
- 2 tsp. sugar
- salt and pepper, a pinch of maggi magic sarap
- cooking oil
- In a sauce pan sauté garlic and onion, add in the pork and stir cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the fish sauce, soy sauce, tomato sauce and paste, stir cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add a cup of water bring to a boil and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the pork are tender.
- Add in the potatoes and carrots and stir cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add in liver spread, hotdog, sugar and raisins continue to stir cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are cooked and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add in the green peas and bell pepper, season with salt, maggi magic sarap and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a lot of rice.