I wish to share a variant recipe of the well-loved Filipino meat spring roll called “lumpiang shanghai”. This is an alternative you can easily cook while living in the Middle East where pork, the main ingredient, is not much available and chicken is more that you can find in almost all groceries and supermarkets. Thus, this dish I’ve prepared today is chicken meat spring roll …a perfect dish if you are craving for a crunchy, mouth-watering and pleasurable “lumpiang shanghai” as I do. Really more tastier when dipped in Jufran sweet chili sauce. Spiced vinegar also works well if it is your choice and yes, it’s delightfully good even on its own. Good day everyone!!!
- 400 grams boneless chicken breast, ground or minced
- 1 pc. medium size onion, minced
- 1 small carrot, minced
- 3 stalks of parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp iodized salt
- a pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 25 pieces “lumpia” or spring roll wrappers
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- a pinch msg.
- In a deep mixing bowl, thoroughly combine minced chicken, onion, carrot, celery, salt, msg and ground pepper.
- Add in soy sauce, sesame oil and eggs. Carefully stir them in with the meat mixture until everything is held together. Taste and adjust salt and/or ground pepper as necessary.
- Take about 1 and ½ tbsp of the fillings and wrap to about half an inch diameter spring roll. Continue rolling and wrapping until you consumed all the mixture. This is good for about 50 pieces spring rolls.
- In a wide non-stick frying pan, heat the oil and fry the spring rolls in batches. Cook both sides in moderate heat until golden brown. Note that having the correct oil temperature is really important. Have it too hot and the wrapper will burn, cook over insufficient heat and oil will enter the roll.
- Thoroughly drain excess oil from the fried “chicken lumpiang shanghai” using layers of table napkin or you may place it in a stainless strainer .
- Transfer in a serving platter. Serve them hot and crisp along side with your choice of dipping sauce such as tomato ketchup, sweet chili sauce, spiced vinegar or any of your choice.
- Share & enjoy!