Chicken sopas or creamy macaroni chicken soup is a famous recipe chicken soup in the Philippines especially for kids, though i don’t remember my father cooking “sopas”. Honestly, I actually have tasted “sopas” on a Christmas day when my boyfriend(now my husband) had decided to bring me home to meet his family. It was really good and perfect as breakfast on that cold rainy festive season. From then on I tried cooking it myself and consider it as my comfort food.
There are different variation of cooking sopas depending on type of meat that are being used, it could be boiled flaked chicken, ground beef or pork, or spare ribs or other bony part to make the soup flavorful. “Sopas” is very versatile recipe, it could be prepared for breakfast, merienda, side dish for fried fish on any occasion. To make the broth tasty, boil chicken or pork bone and let simmer for a long period of time to extract the flavor unto the bone. However, in this posting I have used leftover fried chicken breast so as to utilize what was left from our dinner the night before. By the way, I am used to recycling leftovers when I find it still reusable may it be food or anything at home.
- 500 grams chicken breast
- 5 pcs. reg. size hotdog (sliced thinly)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 white onions (minced)
- 1 large bell pepper (seeded and sliced into strips)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 carrots (sliced into thin strips)
- 350 grams elbow or shell shape macaroni noodles
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 medium cabbage (roughly shredded)
- fish sauce / patis
- 2 pcs. knorr cubes
- chopped spring onions; optional
- salt & msg.; optional
- about 6 to 8 cups water
- Boil the chicken in 4 cups water. Save the broth to be used later. Or you may use leftover fried, grilled or steamed chicken.
- Shred the chicken meat with your fingers. Set aside.
- Saute garlic and onion in oil over medium heat.
- Add the bell pepper and cook until aromatic.
- Stir in the shredded chicken. Add on the knorr cubes and smashed it using the ladle to stir in while sauteing.
- Season lightly with ground black pepper.
- Add the carrots, then the macaroni. Give it a stir to get the fat all around the pasta.
- Pour in the chicken broth and 4 cups water. Simmer then add on sliced hotdog.
- Pour in the milk, stirring gently.
- Add the cabbage. From this point, the macaroni and the cabbage will cook at about the same time.
- Season with fish sauce or salt & msg. Add the spring onions and serve hot.