Camaron Rebosado (Filipino Battered Prawns) are prawns that’s unshelled with tails on and are marinated with calamansi or lemon juice and salt. They are then coated in batter and deep fried till crispy. It is served with Sweet and Sour Sauce, thanks to the Chinese influence in Filipino Cuisine.
Oh yes, this recipe brings back a favorite dish during our vacation in my home country a few months ago. I remember my friend bought some fresh shrimps in a wet market to be cooked in a restaurant at Dampa (a place in Paranaque City where several restaurants are there), it was really a hit on the table. This dish served with sweet & sour sauce!!! My goodness, it was heaven.
But beforehand I also have tried this dish and I believe the recipe below is something similar to what is being prepared in the restaurants…the flavor and crispiness is just the same but the sauce I think is somewhat different, just don’t know how they made it. One thing in common for the sauce is it’s sweet and sour flavor that matches perfectly with the battered prawns.
- 1 kilo long shrimps
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- 2 teaspoons calamasi or lemon juice
- 2 whole eggs (slightly beaten)
- 1½ cup cold water
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons salt
- a pinch of msg.; optional
Ingredients For Dipping Sauce
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons banana catsup
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch diluted in 1 tablespoon of water
- Peel the shrimp and remove its veins, keep the tail in tact.
- Cut not-so-deep-slits on the body of the shrimp to keep them straight during frying.
- Marinate shrimps in salt & pepper and calamansi/lemon.
- Prepare the batter by mixing water and egg in a bowl. Then add in baking powder, flour and salt. Mix well.
- In a deep fryer, heat oil.
- Dip shrimps in batter, let drip and deep fry in hot cooking oil until golden and crispy.
- Prepare the sweet & sour sauce by mixing pineapple juice, sugar, catsup, hot sauce and salt in a sauce pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and add cornstarch mixture, thicken.
- Serve shrimp with sweet & sour sauce.