Wanna indulge and enjoy myself into something sweet today…leche flan may not be the healthiest dessert but if you’re also looking for something creamy and luxurious, this is perfect the dessert for you! Eating sweets once in a long while won’t do any harm as long it’s moderated so why deprive yourself? I can share you my recipe if you want to…
In the Philippines, leche flan or caramel custard, is a popular dessert served during celebrations or special occasions. The custard is primarily made of eggs and milk, then topped with a golden liquid caramel. There are many different flan recipes out there and many Filipinos use evaporated and condensed milk, but you can use regular whole milk as well. Some people add in egg whites, which make the mixture lighter, but I uses only egg yolks for a creamy, dense and rich texture.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 10-12 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or vanilla powder
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk (or use regular milk)
- Place sugar in a small pot and turn heat to medium while stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves and turns into a liquid caramel.
- Turn off heat then spread the liquid caramel evenly on the bottom of your flan mold. Let cool and set aside.
- Place the egg yolks, condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla in a large bowl then mix well using a hand blender.
- Through a fine sieve or strainer, pour the egg yolk and milk mixture on top of the caramel in the mold.
- Cover the top of the mold using aluminum foil.
- Steam the mold for 40 t0 60 minutes or until a knife or clean toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- When done let it cool and refrigerate. Serve for dessert. Share and Enjoy!
Total Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings