Pesang Manok or Boiled Chicken with Vegetable is a typical Filipino dish that is so easy to cook and healthy as well as it includes vegetables such as pechay, cabbage, spring onion leaves and potatoes. This is somewhat similar to Tinolang Manok but the latter utilizes papaya or sayote, fresh chili leaves and is sauteed in cooking oil. My husband had requested the dish for a variation of the usual dishes that requires cooking in oil. But all the same, he finds hot soup dishes to have a soothing effect on him after a cold winter day long hours of work. Please find recipe hereunder:
- 1 kilo chicken (cut into desired sizes)
- 8 cups water
- 1 inch sliced ginger (crushed)
- 1/2 tsp. peppercorn
- 2 tsps. salt
- 2 potatoes (pared and quartered)
- 1 small cabbage (quartered)
- 1 bundle fresh pechay or bok choy
- 6 green onions (cut into 2 inch length)
- 1 big onion (quartered)
- msg. or maggi magic sarap to taste; optional
- Place chicken in kettle. Add water, ginger, peppercorns, salt, onions and bring to a boil. Lower heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook until done and then add cabbage, pechay and green onions. Season with msg. or maggi magic sarap to taste. Serve hot with steamed rice. Good for 8 persons.
- Share & enjoy!