Orange Chicken is a dish of American-Chinese origin adapted by Filipino households and restaurants. I was inspired cooking this recipe when I had actually tasted it from Chowking Resto here in Doha however, the recipe I used here was patterned from Panlasang Pinoy site which I assure you that it is really budget friendly and so easy to prepare. Try the recipe below that I modified according to my style of cooking:
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 raw egg,beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- about 2 cups cooking oil for deep frying
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 5 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup spring onion leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon maggi magic sarap & a pinch of msg. to taste; optional
- In a container, put-in the flour, salt, and ground black pepper then mix well.
- Dip the chicken on the beaten egg mixture and place inside the container (where the flour, salt, and pepper are).
- Close the container and shake until the chicken is evenly coated with the flour mixture.
- Deep fry the chicken for about 7 minutes or until the color turns golden brown. Set aside.
- In a pan, put-in the water, soy sauce, vinegar, and orange juice then bring to a boil.
- Add the garlic and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, maggi magic sarap, msg. and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Put-in the cornstarch (diluted in 2 tbsp of water) then mix well.
- Add the deep-fried chicken on pan and cook until sauce nearly evaporates.
- Serve hot in a platter and garnish with spring onion leaves. Share and Enjoy!