Halaan or clams soup is another seafood dish that is usually served by Filipinos. Another simple recipe but very healthy especially when chili leaves is added to the dish however, such leaves is unavailable in here that again I failed to integrate it. Here’s my recipe for halaan(clams) soup.
- 1/2 kilo fresh clams(halaan)
- 1 bundle chili leaves (if available)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 thumb-sized ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 2 cups water or soup from rice cooking(sabaw-sinaing)
- 3 tablespoon fish sauce(patis) or salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- butter or cooking oil
- maggi magic sarap/msg.; optional
- Wash the clams thoroughly and drain. Place the clams in a container with water and salt. Cover and let it sit for several hours or overnight. This will allow the clams to expel sand.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil or butter and saute ginger, garlic and onion until translucent.
- Add tomatoes, saute for 3 minutes.
- Add fish sauce and the clams. saute for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in water. Cover and let boil.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and ground pepper.
- Continue cooking over a high heat until clams open.
- Add maggie magic sarap & msg to taste if desired.
- Add chili leaves then turn off the heat.
- Serve and enjoy!