Beef Kaldereta is one of the most popular celebration dish – a hearty meat dish using beef or combined with potatoes, carrots, tomato sauce, and liver spread or liver paste. I have included it on my celebration dish list during the new year’s eve for the reason that it is one of my specialties. As special it may seem, preparing something like this takes some time and patience but I assure you it is all worth the wait. Usage of a pressure cooker is recommended to save some time in making the meat tender.
- 1 kilo beef spareribs
- 1/2 cup chicken liver, fried, massed in to paste or canned liver spread
- 1 large size red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 pcs. medium size potatoes; sliced
- 2 pcs. medium size carrots; sliced
- 1/2 tsp. ground peppercorns
- 1 large size onion, chopped
- 1/2 head garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- salt, msg. or maggie magic sarap to taste
- Heat the cooking oil in the pan and fry the carrots and potatoes until color turns light brown. Remove the fried carrots and potatoes from the pan and set aside.
- In a separate saucepan or pot put all together the beef, pineapple juice, soy sauce, garlic, onion, ground peppercorns and simmer for 1 to 2 hours if using an ordinary pot until meat are tender and just enough sauce remains. Add more water as necessary.
- Add tomato sauce, liver paste, fried potatoes and carrots then simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Add bell pepper and season with sugar, salt and msg. or maggi magic sarap, simmer for another 2-3 minute, serve hot with steamed rice.