Fettuccine Carbonara or Pasta alla Carbonara is a pasta dish with white sauce originally derived from beaten eggs and grated cheese. As the dish became popular, different versions came into being including the creamy version that employs heavy whipping cream.
My version of carbonara is a delectable, mouth watering pile of yummy goodness as I add slices of mushrooms other than bacon for a healthier dish. I recommend a garlic toasted bread and nice salad with it, – that’s all you will need for a complete meal.
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 can (400 grams) diced mushrooms
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 400 grams bacon, sliced into square cuts
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 (500 grams) package fettuccini pasta
- 4 pcs. egg
- 1 can (1 cup) nestle heavy cream
- 1 small can (1 cup) evap. milk
- 1 cup fresh milk or skimmed milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
Instructions for Cooking:
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, stir fry bacon until evenly browned. Stir in onion and garlic, then add mushroom. Simmer for about 3 minutes then add the evaporated milk, fresh milk and season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and set aside for a while
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until done. Drain pasta then return it to the pot, put in butter to avoid noodles from sticking.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, and shredded cheese. Set aside half of the cheese for toppings.
- Pour the bacon and mushroom mixture over the pasta, then stir in the cream, egg and cheese mixture and mix well. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate, sprinkle shredded cheese on top then serve while still hot. Can be eaten best with garlic bread.
- Share and enjoy.