Ginataang Mais or Corn in Coconut Milk is a Filipino dessert and snack made from whole kernel corn, glutinous rice and coconut milk. This is a simple and quick Filipino dessert recipe that only takes less than 25 minutes to prepare. The appearance of this quick and easy dessert is similar to that of the Maja Blanca but there is a big difference in texture; the consistency is more like the Champorado.
I decided to prepare this dish as I was thinking of what can be the best alternative of rice as a source of carbohydrates for my son since he seemed to dislike eating rice for almost three days now. He likes corn itself but I still want to integrate rice in his diet for proper digestion and the best idea i have in mind is ‘ginataang mais’. As expected, he ate the newly introduced dish more than what is his usual intake of rice for the day.
For mom’s who had picky eater kids like mine you can try this recipe:
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup glutinous rice (malagkit)
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Combine coconut milk and glutinous rice in a cooking pot then turn on the heat. Let the coconut milk boil.
- Once the coconut milk is boiling, stir the mixture to prevent the glutinous rice from sticking. Set the heat to low and let the rice cook while stirring once in a while. This will take approximately 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add the whole kernel corn and cook for 5 minutes.
- Put-in the sugar and stir thoroughly. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve. Share and enjoy!