Beef with Broccoli is an Asian beef main dish. As the name suggests, this dish is mainly comprised of thinly sliced beef, marinated then stir-fried with garlic and blanched broccoli. For a change of the usual beef menus, try this healthy and easy to prepare recipe:
- 3/4 pound beef sirloin, sliced thinly across the grain
- 3/4 pound broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons high-heat cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely minced
- 1 head white onion; sliced into cubes
- 1 medium size green bell pepper; sliced into cubes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
For the beef marinade
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine (or rice vinegar)
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
Instructions for Cooking:
- Marinate the beef: Stir together the beef marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the beef slices and stir until coated. Let stand for 10 minutes
- Prepare the sauce: Stir together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Blanch the broccoli: Cook the broccoli in a small pot of boiling, salted water until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
- Heat a large frying pan or wok over high heat until a bead of water sizzles and instantly evaporates upon contact. Add the cooking oil and swirl to coat. Add the beef and immediately spread the beef out all over the surface of the wok or pan in a single layer (preferably not touching). Let the beef fry undisturbed for 3 minute. Flip the beef slices over, add the garlic to the pan and fry for an additional 2 minutes or until no longer pink, Pour in the sauce, add the blanched broccoli, sliced white onion, green bell pepper and bring to a boil. Pour in the dissolved cornstarch and cook, stirring, until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.