Ginataan (or guinataan) is a Filipino cooking method that means “cooked in coconut milk”. Ginataang Tilapia is a dish where Tilapia (a fish belonging to the tilapiine cichlid tribe) is cooked in coconut milk (or cream) and served with banana peppers. This method is popularized by the Bicolanos, the fifth-largest Filipino ethnolinguistic group that lives in the southern islands of Luzon.There are many other ingredients that can be cooked with Coconut milk but the most available fish in the local markets here is Tilapia, try this favorite yummy fish dish and surely your taste buds will crave for it before you laid it in your dining table.
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup sliced onions
- 1 pc 11g MAGGI Chicken Broth Cube
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 kg tilapia, cut-up into 6 or can be whole pc.
- 1 1/2 cups red bell pepper or 3 finger chilis, cut into strips
- salt to taste
- 1 bundle pechay or bokchoy
- Heat cooking oil and saute ginger, garlic, onions and MAGGI Chicken Broth Cube.
- Pour in coconut milk. Simmer for 3 minutes in a slow fire.
- Add fish and red bell pepper or finger chilis.
- Cook about 10 minutes more or until fish flakes easily. Add salt if necessary.
- You can add pechay or bokchoy if available.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.