Pancit Mami and siopao are the Chinese connection when it comes to merienda. Noodles in broth topped with chicken, beef or wonton are sold almost anywhere from the karitons in Quiapo, the panciterias in Chinatown, in fastfoods and in restaurants. And it goes will with a side order of siopao asado or can be with puto. While below is a homemade pancit mami you can certainly add ingredients and cooking method to suit your taste. Try this:
- 1/4 pound chicken, whole piece or chicken liver
- 1/4 pound shrimp medium size
- 1 pound fresh miki
- 1 chicken knorr cube
- 3 cups water
- 1 pc. carrot thinly sliced
- half sayote thinly sliced
- a portion of cabbage
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or corn oil
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 minced onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- few stalks of celery chopped (as garnishing)
- In a medium pot, boil chicken in 3 cups water until tender and put on knorr cube.
- Remove from water and cool,shred the chicken. Set aside, saving the stock.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and saute garlic and onion. Add liver or shredded chicken and shrimps. Add the stock.
- Simmer for two minutes and add carrots, cabbage, sayote and fresh miki and simmer for at least 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in serving bowls and garnish each bowl with celery and serve hot.