Sweet and sour fish balls are very easy to make; I prepared the sweet and sour sauce in less than 20 minutes, though preparation and cooking fish ball would take about 30 minutes. It calls for very simple and easy-to-get ingredients. What I love most about the dish is that it can be a main entree that goes very well with steamed rice, but fish balls itself can also be converted to a little snack–one that you can eat pretty much anytime of the day when you’re hungry.
A fish ball recipe has been posted here already I’ll be showing here only the ingredients & procedure for the sauce as below:
- 1 pc. large white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons tomato sauce or banana ketsup
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 red bell pepper medium size; sliced thinly
- 1 green bell pepper medium size; sliced thinly
- 1 thumbsize ginger; sliced thinly
- 1 small size carrots; sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoon Sugar,
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch, mix with 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- salt, msg & pepper to taste
Cooking Procedure for the Sweet & Sour Sauce:
- To prepare the sauce, heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok. Add onion and ginger then stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, or until soft.
- Add bell pepper & carrots simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, then set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, boil water, pineapple juice, vinegar, soy sauce.
- Add sugar and slow boil for another 5 minutes, season with msg, salt & pepper to taste.
- Add cornstarch solution and stir quickly for a few more minutes.Add on the sauteed vegetables.
- Pour the sauce over the fish balls and serve with steamed rice.