Munggo or Mung bean is used as an ingredient in different desserts and main dishes as well. The most famous Mung bean dish is the “Ginisang Munggo” (Sauteed Mung Bean). This dish makes use of Mung beans as the main ingredient complimented by different flavors from meat and or seafood and vegetables. A very healthy and satisfying dish that is affordable and easy to cook.
Try this Ginisang Munggo (Monggo) recipe.
- 1 pack Mung bean (about 1/2 lb)
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 cup small size shrimp; deveined
- 1 cup ampalaya (bittergourd;) sliced thinly
- 1 pc medium sized tomato, chopped
- 1 medium sizzed onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 24 ounces water
- 1 pc chicken cube (for flavoring)
- 5 pcs. siling haba (green pepper)
- Salt, msg. and pepper
- In a pan, put-in the water and bring to a boil
- Put-in the chicken cube and Mung bean and simmer until the Mung Bean is soft enough (about 35 to 50 minutes)
- On a separate pan, sauté the garlic,onion, and tomato
- Add the shrimp, put in fish sauce and simmer for 5 mins or until shrimp turns pink/orange.
- Add ampalaya strips and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Pour the cooked Mung beans and simmer for 10 minutes (add a cup of water if necessary for a soupy mixture).
- Add the green chili or siling haba.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve hot with steamed rice. Share and Enjoy!
Note: you can add pork chicharon when cooked, but for health reasons I prefer not to add…