Chicken Afritada is a luscious tomato-based chicken dish that might be an everyday menu served in Filipino households. However, having the complete ingredients and putting some love in your cooking will definitely turn this ordinary dish into something extra ordinary that you can also serve it on special occasions such as fiestas, birthdays etc.
We all have different style in cooking certain dishes. There might be differences in ingredients and procedures but we still refer to the same dish. You can try mine….
- 1 kg. chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 large potato, quartered
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 pieces hotdogs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and ground black pepper & msg. to taste
- Pour-in cooking oil in a cooking pot or casserole then apply heat.
- Pan-fry the chicken until the color turns light brown (about 3 minutes per side).
- Remove the chicken from the cooking pot.
- On the same cooking pot, sauté garlic and onions.
- Put-in the sliced hotdog, pan-fried chicken & sliced potatoes then cook for a minute.
- Pour-in tomato sauce and chicken stock then simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Put-in the bell pepper and carrots then simmer for 7 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add salt, sugar, and ground black pepper then cook for 3 minutes more.
- Turn-off heat then transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve with steamed rice. Enjoy!