Minatamis na Saging is a dessert dish using plantains or “saging na saba”, sweetened by cooking in a caramelized mixture of water, brown sugar, salt, and vanilla extract. “Saging na saba” is abundant in almost all markets in the Philippines but very rare in places like where we are currently residing. Beside the fact that it is a quick and easy to prepare recipe I intend to preserve the dish for a more longer consumption.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 12 pieces plantains (saging na saba)
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 5 cups water
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
Instructions for cooking:
- Boil a pot/ pan of water (large enough)
- Add brown sugar and stir until diluted.
- Add salt and vanilla extract and mix.
- Add “saging na saba” and lower to a medium heat. Cover and simmer for 8 to 12 minutes or until thickens.
- Turn-off heat and allow the mixture to cool.
Optional: Add crushed ice and evaporated milk if you wish Saging con Hielo on a summer time.