Rellenong Alimasag or Stuffed Crabs is a Filipino dish that is made out of crab meat and vegetables stuffed in crab casing. This cooking method is also popular during festive events as preparation can be so intricate as it’s messy and time consuming, you have to extract all the meat from the crabs. Yet it didn’t hold me back in preparing it, again I have some leftover of steamed crabs crabs from the weekend and I want to do something different out of it. This was my first time, admittedly it didn’t turned so yummy, I’ve realized that it should have been deeply fried on medium high heat than just frying it with a little amount of oil, but I promised myself the next time I’ll do it it would be perfect!
What about you are you up to a challenge ? Why not try this recipe:
- Meat and top shell of 5 pieces steamed blue crabs
- 1 medium potato diced
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 piece long green chili (siling pansigang), chopped
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped thinly
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- a pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil for sauteeing
- 2 pieces raw eggs
- 1 to 2 cups cooking oil for frying
- a pinch of msg. & maggi magic sarap; optional
- Heat pan and pour-in 2 tablespoons of coooking oil.
- Saute onion and tomatoes.
- Add potato and carrot. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes
- Put-in the long green chili and crabmeat (you may include the juice of the crab for additional flavor). Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add parsely, garlic powder, salt, and ground black pepper. Stir. Turn off the heat and place in a large bowl.
- Once the temparature cools down, combine the cooked mixture with breadcrumbs and eggs. Mix well.
- Stuff each crab shell with the mixture.
- Heat a pan and pour-in 1 to 2 cups of oil.
- When the oil becomes hot, deep fry the stuffed crab shells. The part with the stuffing should be facing up.
- Flip the crab shell and fry the side with stuffing in medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve with tomato or banana ketchup as dipping sauce. Share and enjoy!